E-Verification of Income Tax Return in India
What is Income Tax Return?
Citizens in India are required to file their income tax return. Tax Filing is quite an easy process to comprehend. In this procedure, one needs to disclose their income and taxes paid by them to the government. Primarily, filing tax return enables us to declare our annual income, as well as keeps a record of the amount of tax money one paid. It guarantees that all previous dues had been cleared by the taxpayer. The deadline to submit the investment proofs in order to claim tax returns was 31st January 2020. In case of investments made under Section 80C, the deadline was 31st March 2020. The last date for filing tax returns was 5th August. However, a time span from October to November is there to verify the income tax return
Documents needed for filing Income Tax Return
Several documents are needed when income tax return is filed.When the income tax return is successfully filed, the subsequent step would be to verify it. The Income Tax Department is responsible for processing the return when it is verified. When any refunds, are processed for returns, it is done only after submission of proper documents and verification. The return can be successfully e-verified by means of net- banking.
In that case, it is not necessary to send the physical ITR-V. Besides, there are ways by which one may send the physical ITR-V.
- For salaried employees, Form No.16 has to be issued by the tax payer’s employer summarizing their income from salary and tax deducted at source.
- Additionally, there is Form No 16A which is issued by all the payers who have deducted tax during their transaction with the taxpayer. It also demands account statements of all the accounts operated through the year.
- Moreover, details about a recently purchased property or existing property for rent along with details about the rent received and receipts of municipal taxes paid during the year need to be disclosed as well.
- Any documents related to sale & purchase of shares in the existing year is essential for calculating capital gains.
- In the case of advance tax payments, tax challans are present for this purpose.
- Finally, documents involving tax implications should also be present for quantifying taxes.
How to send ITR-V?
- When a non-digitally signed tax return is filed, it is regarded as fulfilled only when ITR-V arrive at the CPC in Bangalore.
- In addition, after the return is filed, it shall reach CPC within 120 days of the filing of the return.
- Previously, multiple ITR V was not approved. However, now multiple ITR-Vs can be included in the same
- Whereas, ITR can be processed in a swifter manner when ITR-V is sent in different envelopes for different assessment years.
- ITR-V shall be dispatched in an envelope, which can contain an A4 size paper devoid of folding it and/or stapling it.
- In addition, there shall be no other document to be attached namely- Form 16/16A or TDS certificate and so on.
- The address where ITR-V will be sent is-
Post Bag No.1, Electronic City Post Office, Bangalore, Karnataka-560100. It shall be sent only by ordinary post or speed post.
- -Finally, ITR-Vs may get discarded or recognition of receipt may get postponed, in case it does not agree with to the above provisions.
The Steps involved to E-Verify Tax Return via Net Banking
- Firstly, one has to login to their net-banking account and track down the income tax e-filing tab. This may be at variance from bank to bank. From this point, the individual will be directed straight to the Department website. This process is the first process to e-verification of Income Tax Return.
- In the next step, one has to click on the ‘View Returns/Forms’ option and view e-filed tax returns.
- Thirdly, the individual has to click on the option , “Click here to view your returns pending for e-verification’
- Now, the option to ‘e-verify’ will be available.
- In the next step, a pop-up window shall appear. This will prompt the user to click on ‘Continue’. On clicking on the option, an EVC will be generated and the user’s income tax return will be verified.
- Finally, an authentication message will appear providing with a transaction ID along with an EVC code. The user has to select the green button to download the attachment. The attachment is meant to the user only. Thus, the e-verification is now complete.
Thus, “E-verification of Income Tax Return”, has made verification easier. In addition to this, a number of modifications were made by the authorities. The primary one being linking PAN with Aadhar was made compulsory. The returns will be processed by the income tax department only after the two ID proofs are linked and verified.